[conspire] installing nvidia driver on ubuntu 13.10

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Nov 7 20:04:56 PST 2013

Quoting Les Usenet (les.groups at gmail.com):

> When I updated ubuntu from 13.04 to 13.10 it installed the open source
> driver and it does not work as well as NVidia's
> For my x86_64 laptop with its NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M TurboCache, Nvidia
> recommends  version 319.60
>
> Can I just do an
> sudo apt-get install nvidia-319

Er, I believe you'll need to enable the appropriate PPA.  (The
Ubuntu-GNOME-Unity-desktop thing to enable 'restricted drivers' can, I
believe, do the necessary addition to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ on your
behalf.)

> Is the package smart enough to remove the existing driver and install the
> nvida one successfully?

I'm pretty sure that's not necessary, but you can make sure you lose it
by doing 'apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau'.  (Season
with sudo to suit.)