[conspire] Fwd: wheezy is OUT. tonight. Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: BAD meeting for 2013-05 (and mini-installfests, and ...)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 9 17:24:32 PDT 2013

Quoting Tony Godshall (togo at of.net):

> And yes I 100% agree that reviewing what apt-get or aptitude is going
> to do is important... I've seen people get in the habit of apt-get -y ...
> and I would advise all to DON'T DO THAT.  Review the changes it
> proposes.

One suggestion Don Marti made a long time ago was to just have a nightly
cronjob that does something like:

  apt-get update && apt-get -y --download-only dist-upgrade

('-d' is the short form for the --download-only option.)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4419268/how-do-i-download-a-package-from-apt-get-without-installing-it

This does all the hard slogging of bulk-downloading proposed update
packages to /var/cache/apt/archives but take no further action until
you decide to manually do 'apt-get dist-upgrade' or whatever.
That way, you can review proposed updates but not have to sit around
waiting for package fetches.