[conspire] supported graphics cards?

Josef Grosch jgrosch at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 11:27:21 PDT 2013

On 06/27/2013 11:01 AM, Ken Bernard wrote:
> Hi to everyone at CABAL. I haven't been able to attend the meetings at
> Rick's for quite a while. Anyway, I just went to Fry's and bought a
> new PC since my current desktop is years old and much of the newer
> software updates will no longer "just install" or "just work."
>
> I have tried to load Knoppix in the new box and have serious graphic
> display problems. Since the new box is using integrated graphics (
> AMD, ATI Vision) I think that I can just pop in a supported graphics
> card and I should be good. I guess that I would need a card with
> native Linux support or there would be no way to install a new OS.
>
> I suppose I will want to install CentOS 6 on the new box. I have been
> using CentOS for several years and I like the stability and the slow
> pace at which new or major changes are made to the UI and other parts
> of the OS.
>
> The new box:
> HP P&-1414
> AMD A8 CPU 3.1 Ghz
> ATI Vision
> 6 GB RAM
> 1 TB Hard drive
> PCIe x16 (one)
> PCIe x1   (three)
> HP product specs:link
> <http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03499587&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0003>
>
> I would appreciate your feedback on appropriate graphic cards.

I'm a big fan of LinuxMint mostly because it just works and I HATE
screwing around with video card drivers, my life is short enough. That
being said I have had a lot of success with nvidia cards. Since I'm not
a gamer I don't have to have the top of the line. So any card with at
least 1 GB of memory, nvidia chip set and HDMI is good enough for me, YMMV

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       |  Another day closer  |
jgrosch at gmail.com  |  to Redwood Heaven   |  Berkeley, Ca.