[conspire] supported graphics cards?

Ken Bernard kenbernard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 11:01:12 PDT 2013

Hi to everyone at CABAL. I haven't been able to attend the meetings at
Rick's for quite a while. Anyway, I just went to Fry's and bought a new PC
since my current desktop is years old and much of the newer software
updates will no longer "just install" or "just work."

I have tried to load Knoppix in the new box and have serious graphic
display problems. Since the new box is using integrated graphics ( AMD, ATI
Vision) I think that I can just pop in a supported graphics card and I
should be good. I guess that I would need a card with native Linux support
or there would be no way to install a new OS.

I suppose I will want to install CentOS 6 on the new box. I have been using
CentOS for several years and I like the stability and the slow pace at
which new or major changes are made to the UI and other parts of the OS.

The new box:
HP P&-1414
AMD A8 CPU 3.1 Ghz
ATI Vision
6 GB RAM
1 TB Hard drive
PCIe x16 (one)
PCIe x1   (three)
HP product specs:
link<http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03499587&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0003>

I would appreciate your feedback on appropriate graphic cards.