[conspire] Gnome Blow up?

Josef Grosch jgrosch at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 15:11:01 PDT 2013

On 07/24/2013 10:32 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
>> Just an interesting take on slashdot this morning on the state of the
>> gtk tool kit and gnome desktop
>>
>> http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/07/24/0157210/the-last-guadec?utm_source=rss1.0mainlinkanon&utm_medium=feed
> Honestly, have you tried reading the gtk+ code, or even the wrappers?
> Let alone the GNOME ones?  They're a bit of a mess.  Qt-based stacks are
> a lot cleaner (but, to be fair, also a lot bigger).
>
> I wish more projects would remember about, e.g., FLTK, widgets sets that
> still work, still aren't bloated, and don't have a nasty habit of
> throwing everything out and starting over every couple of years.  (It's
> too much to hope for wide adoption of the GNUstep high-level toolkit, as
> that would require enthusiasm for ObjC, which isn't happening in open
> source, much as I wish it would.)

I also wish that projects would stick to code that has already been
mostly shook out and keep working on real bug fixes and enhancement
instead of tossing out the code base every 3 or 4 years to do a complete
rewrite. I'm not so sure if these rewrites are really making things any
better.

As to Objective C, you are right,  outside of programing for OS X I
don't see much interest in the open source word or much of any where
else. I personalty think, and this is my opinion you guys are invited to
ignore this, it's because the syntax of language is CRAP! It looks like
the guys who developed the language just shoehorned object oriented
features into C. Really, if you wanted Smalltalk you should just use
smalltalk. But, like I said, this is my opinion, please feel free to
ignore it.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       |  Another day closer  |
jgrosch at gmail.com  |  to Redwood Heaven   |  Berkeley, Ca.