[conspire] Post Mortum legal explosion

Ron Guerin ron at vnetworx.net
Thu Jan 24 14:19:22 PST 2013

On 01/24/2013 02:16 PM, Paul Zander wrote:
> There is an old saying, "Don't do the crime, if you don't want to do the time."

I have often seen that said in related threads.  I presume when the old
saying was fresh, it was based upon knowing what the crime was, and
knowing what the proscribed punishment would be.

Those conditions no longer apply in contemporary society.  It seems to
me that Swartz was facing something in the range of zero days to life in
prison (50+ years is effectively life in prison).  Also that this is
true for a large percentage of people breaking laws no reasonable person
would have known existed.

The present day version of the old saying in a world with infinite
'crimes' and infinite punishments would be "Don't do anything
whatsoever, for it could cost you your life."

- Ron