[conspire] Post Mortum legal explosion

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 15 19:55:44 PST 2013

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> Look at this fall out
> http://www.volokh.com/2013/01/14/aaron-swartz-charges/

Scalzi:

  [...]
  In a general sense, if I don't feel like I have anything useful or
  relevant to say on a subject, I try not to say anything. In this
  particular case, there's a suicide of a young man to consider, and a
  political aspect to it all that seems very complicated, and so I feel
  there's a great opportunity to make an ass out of myself by saying
  something that does little more than reveal everything I don't know.
  I would prefer not to do that. My participation in the story is confined
  to retweeting thoughts from friends who better knew Aaron Swartz and the
  situation, so those interested who follow me on that service can do as I
  was doing, and find out more.

  The two things I can say here are thus: One, this reminds me to remind
  people who suffer from depression, as Aaron Swartz apparently did, to
  seek help for their condition. My friend Wil Wheaton talks about suicide
  and depression here[1] and I recommend you see what he has to say about it.
  Two, I am heartily sorry for friends like Cory Doctorow[2] and Quinn
  Norton[3] that they and many others have lost someone they loved and
  cared about.

  That's what I have to say on Aaron Swartz at this point.
  [...]

  [1] http://wilwheaton.net/2012/09/depression-lies/
  [2] http://boingboing.net/2013/01/12/rip-aaron-swartz.html
  [3] http://www.quinnnorton.com/said/?p=644