[conspire] more spy ware?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 28 12:51:10 PDT 2013

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> For various reasons, mostly historical, I have long used Yahoo for most of my email.

Yes, but please note that you don't actually _need_ to use their webmail
facliltiy.  Yahoo Mail works just fine with regular IMAP/SMTP access.
Same story with GMail.

Although I don't personally choose to outsource to either of those, I
really am continually amazed at how many people put up with
Javascript-driven nosiness from webmail providers when they simply don't
_have_ to use the webmail features.

> After I first installed NoScript, I found that the Yahoo mail loaded
> faster.  Duh, less extra stuff on each page that I would have ignored
> anyway.
>
> More recently I wanted to send  a picture.  Something hung up when
> problem.  The file would only load if I set NoScript to allow
> something called webtrendslive.com.  webtrends.com is a digital
> marketing firm.
>
> I can't figure out what or why they want access to my photos, but ...

No, they don't want to access your photos.  They just want to track
everything you do.

Use of NoScript can be extremely revealing in exactly the sense you
menition:  Site function FOO doesn't function right without enabling the
willingness to run Javascript snippets from domain BAR.  OK, but instead
of just mindlessly saying 'Sure, go ahead and run Javascript from some
domain I have no interest in', ask yourself _why_?