[conspire] (forw) Re: GOOGLE: If You Use Gmail, You Have 'No Legitimate Expectation Of Privacy'

Josef Grosch jgrosch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 10:46:00 PDT 2013

On 08/16/2013 08:46 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> As always, the best way to prevent abuse is to make it impossible,
> e.g., to keep your Internet traffic out of the hands of people likely
> to behave badly with it.

Could not agree more. Their, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft (Bing), business
model is advertising. They are delivering ads based on content and
context. They get these data point by scanning your email that is
sitting on their servers. To my mind there is 2 ways prevent this abuse
1) run your own email server. It's not that hard. 2) poison the well.
The more "bad" data that is in their databases the less valuable their
ad serving is. Advertisers pay for accurate targeting, they want to know
that an ad for say a new Lexius will go to a person who would buy one.
If the database has so much bad data that its serving up ads for
lipstick to a 60 year old man the advertisers are not going to pay for
that poor a service.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       |  Another day closer  |
jgrosch at gmail.com  |  to Redwood Heaven   |  Berkeley, Ca.