[conspire] running without a DE- dynamically activating external monitor

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Fri Apr 19 14:55:10 PDT 2013

>> from console, followed by invocation of a wm
>>
>> ion&
>
> I take it ion doesn't furnish the means to restart itself or switch to a
> different WM on the fly.  Too bad.
>
> But yes, I've certainly used that trick of making an xterm the first X11
> client and just parking it in a corner, reduced to its title bar, and
> leaving it alone.

Well, actually, at the time I was running fluxbox, as I'd previously
stated.  I recalled using openbox as a good window manager with
tabbing and rollup during my time at the beef warehouse job and
fluxbox is a derivative of that, but damned if middle-drag didn't work
at all like I remember or the fluxbox docs say it's supposed to- I'd
start a middle drag and the window would just pop to bottom, so I'm
flitting back to ion again.  I gotta settle on one that lets me have a
lot of windows opened without so *much* mousy monkey motion. Tabbing
is a requirement, and tiling is a bonus, as long as you can get dialog
boxes and tool boxes to behave.

--
Best Regards.
This is unedited.