[conspire] tip- touchscreen / table style scrolling

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Tue Apr 16 21:50:47 PDT 2013

if you are like me, the first time you touched Apple Lion (OSX
update), you went WTF!?  It scrolls backwards!?  Yup, it's called
"Natural Scrolling" and it seems wrong wrong wrong.  (And they don't
let you scroll the touchpad edge but rather you use two fingers, but I
digress.) Until you get a laptop with a touch-screen.  Suddenly, you
expect the stuff on the screen to scroll like it does on your android
phone, on your tablet.  And then, if you have a touchpad or a
wheel-mouse that's "backwards" from your touchscreen.  And then it
seems wrong to have one backwards from the other.  Anyhow, here's how
$( I took the plunge.  I'm going back to window managers without all
the heavy gnome / kde / unity dumbing down heaviness, and I move from
machine to machine a bit, so I'm looking for programmatic ways to take
my settings along. So I script my settings here so I can apply them
there.  Anyhow, this is how I applied scroll reversal:

# apt-get update && apt-get install xinput

for id in $(xinput list|perl -ne
'if(m{XTEST}){}elsif(m{id=([0-9]+).*slave.*pointer}){print "$1\n"}');
do xinput set-button-map $id $(xinput get-button-map $id|perl -pe 's{
4 5 }{ 5 4 }'); done

If any folks on the list would like a breakdown of that, let me know.

--
Best Regards.
This is unedited.