[conspire] zone record translations

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Tue Apr 2 18:39:50 PDT 2013

: ruben
> I think it is all fixed but maybe my soa line is messed up in bind.  I
> think I misunderstood what that line is supposed to be.
>
> I hate that line.  Its syntax was determined by a bingo parlor caller.

: rick
I can help you with that.  Let me quote mine from
/etc/bind/linuxmafia.com.zone[1]

@       IN      SOA     ns1.linuxmafia.COM.  rick.deirdre.NET. (
                        2010062201              ; serial
                        7200                    ; refresh 2 hours
                        3600                    ; retry 1 hour
                        2419200                 ; expire 28 days
                        10800                   ; negative TTL 3 hours
                        )

@ :  macro that expands to the value of $ORIGIN, in this case
  'linuxmafia.com.'.
IN :  class value = Internet
SOA :  reference record type Start of Authority
ns1.linuxmafia.COM. :  FQDN of the host where master DNS for the zone resides.
rick.deirdre.NET. :  e-mail address of the person responsible for
  administration of the zone's DNS contents, with the '@' transformed
  into a period to avoid software parsing problems.  Note that I am careful
  to specify an out-of-band means of contact.
2010062201 : zone serial number in conventional syntax YYYYMMDDnn.
  Although any positive integer is a valid S/N, and the only iron
  rule is S/Ns should[2] keep going up, this syntax is best practices.
SOA refresh = 7200:  RFC1912 2.2 recommends a value between 1200 and
  43200 seconds (20 minutes to 12 hours)). This value determines how often
  secondary/slave nameservers check with the master for updates.
SOA retry = 3600 : The retry value is the amount of time your
  secondary/slave nameservers will wait to contact the master nameserver
  again if the last attempt failed.
SOA expire = 2419200 : RFC1912 suggests 2-4 weeks.  This is how long a
  secondary/slave nameserver will wait before considering its DNS data
  stale if it can't reach the primary nameserver.
  SOA negative TTL = 10800 : RFC2308 suggests a value of 1-3 hours. This
  value used to determine the default (technically, minimum) TTL
  (time-to-live) for DNS entries, but now is used for negative caching.