[conspire] bitcoin in nmap?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 1 22:45:44 PDT 2013

I'm redirecting this to public discussion, where it should have gone
anyway.  Ruben, I'm not a free-of-charge private consultant available
every time someone is curious about something.  If you're going to ask
me about Linux technology, at least ask on a public Linux forum where
(1) other people can benefit and (2) other people can take a shot at the
question.

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> Any idea what this is?
>
> /usr/share/nmap/nselib/bitcoin.lua
> /usr/share/nmap/scripts/bitcoin-getaddr.nse
> /usr/share/nmap/scripts/bitcoin-info.nse
> /usr/share/nmap/scripts/bitcoinrpc-info.nse

nmap can now implement enough of the BitCoin protocol to let you know
whether you have BitCoin client or server infrastructure running.

For other readers, BitCoin is a digital currency system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin