[conspire] I get mail

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Nov 29 22:42:15 PST 2012

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 22:41:50 -0800
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: Russ Nelson <nelson at rediffmail.com>
Subject: Re: tinydns uses cdb, not dnscache

I've just checked to make sure that error was not present in my bestiary
of DNS software
(http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Network_Other/dns-servers.html) or anywhere
else in my online information.  It wasn't.

If you looked a few paragraphs down that page of casual letters to the
editor and offhand replies to same, you'll have also seen me saying
this:

  In writing my recent articles, and in compiling my bestiary of DNS
  software for Linux
  (http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Network_Other/dns-servers.html) over the
  years before it, one of the biggest obstacles has been lack of
  information, and actual bad information, from the software authors about
  what their codebases do and don't do -- with some notably honourable
  exceptions, such as NLnet Labs, creators of NSD and Unbound. In the case
  of each package, I've spent considerable time reading available
  documentation and some of the source code, to answer questions like the
  one Kapil raises about pdnsd. Does pdnsd do recursive service? I
  honestly cannot say for certain. It's a pity the authors of such
  packages don't make the answer clearer. I can say only that I made my
  best guess, where documentation didn't suffice -- as, sadly, it often
  did not.

I'd love to have had the gobs of time, effort, and stamina to fully
research and perfectly describe every one of the 54 open-source DNS
codebases in question.  Then, I could completely avoid error in all
utterances anywhere about djdbns and all 53 others.  If I'm ever able to
purchase that, I'll be right on it.

Meanwhile, I'm sure there are other errors, too.  Guaranteed.

I'm sure, some day, I'll die ignorant about a literally endless variety
of things, and misinformed about a large number of others.  As will you.

----- End forwarded message -----