[conspire] Umlaute auf amerikanischen Computern

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Wed Nov 28 01:33:12 PST 2012

Mark Weisler:
> On 11/27/12 6:30 PM, Paul Zander wrote:
> > I'm looking for an "easy" way to occasionally type German with my
> > American keyboard & Debian.
> Ich halte handlich ein Textdokument mit "äöüß". Dann kopiere ich in
> diesen Charakteren, wie erforderlich.

I bound AltGr (that's the "right Alt key" on US keyboards) as a Compose
key in GNOME.  This gives me the ability to input multigraph sequences,
by tapping out <AltGr>`e to get è and <AltGr>ss to get ß.  Likewise "u
becomes ü and /o is ø.

<AltGr>CCCP instantly becomes ☭

I'm still fighting for *8 to make ☃

Apologies to the folks on this list who would prevent you from putting
an umlaut and a snowman in the same document.  You will likely see a lot
of question marks.

--
BitKeeper, how quaint.
                -- Alan Cox