[conspire] No Copyright Intended

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Mon Nov 26 10:43:18 PST 2012

Nick: Interesting reading,

In addition to the "cultural divide" I suggest there was once was a "technology divide" that has been closed.

For example, music used to be distributed on vinyl.  If you owned a record, or physically borrowed one from a friend, the only thing you could do was put it on a turntable and listen. When audio cassettes came along, it was still a technical challenge to record from vinyl to tape.  Yes, some people recorded from the radio, but it was not trivial to get the full song and none of the radio announcer. Yes, the Recording Industry of America, RIAA,  raised a fuss, but the major obstacle to recording was not copyright, but technical.

Today all of the technical obstacles of duplicating and re-mixing and distribution are gone (except for DRM).  All one needs is a computer and an Internet connection.  So every young person has access to the equipment and advice from friends on how to use it.  And they feel "creative" in the process.  Furthermore, they have grown up with being able to play, for example, a Disney video at anytime they want (if they can convince their parents).

There is no dialog discussing the effort of making original content, even an essay for school, and just copying / mixing other peoples content.

Maybe David Pogue needs a different presentation for teenagers. Start with:

You spent many hours researching and writing a report for history class. The teacher gave you an "A".  A friend with a different history teacher is struggling with his assignment.
  Is it OK to let him copy your report?
  What if he sneaks your report from your locker, makes a photocopy and returns the original before you notice it was gone?
  What if he offers to pay you?