[conspire] Word of the Year

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Wed Nov 14 02:08:51 PST 2012

Ignoring the pronunciation of the word "graphic" (the source of the 'g'
in "gif") and of the word "gift" (which is the closest and most obvious
hint to pronunciation in the English language), let's address the
authorial intent:

Rick Moen:
> Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):
> > What is the correct pronunciation?  I had always used a hard "G" as
> > in "graphic".  The radio announcer said, "jif".  Which made me think
> > of peanut butter.
>
> And that's what the original developers at CompuServe in Columbus, OH
> intended, back in dinosaur days.  http://www.olsenhome.com/gif/

This, of course, gets my back up.  Parroting other people's advertising
slogans doesn't make you witty: it makes you a walking billboard that
isn't even getting paid for the effort.  So well done, original
developers at CompuServe in Columbus, OH: you not only missed the
"patent pending" nature of LZW compression, but you also couldn't resist
telling people about some peanut butter commercial you saw!

I pronounce "gif" with a hard 'g' because I am a Hard G.

Word.

--
"Man, if everything were object-oriented then rsync
could do this already. Of course, if everything were