[conspire] G8 statement on intellectual property rights

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Sun May 20 21:44:26 PDT 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 01:50:34PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
> > I hate it when people mix up issues, especials the copyright issues to
> > other things, like in your case, tax cuts.
>
> It's a bit embarrassing that Ed probably has no idea that his vague
> ideological handwave didn't even address Adrien's G8 conference
> quotation.

    What ticks me off about it is that it gives an impression that in
    order to be against copyright abuses that you have to be a left wing
    nut case, thereby excluding everyone of the right side of the
    political spectrum who should be equaly upset of the abuses.

I think the issue of protecting a commons that benefits all society fits in well with a capitalist economy (our Earth's atmosphere is a good example,) so I don't think you can brand someone leftist for having that viewpoint. So let's try to protect the atmosphere; it is damn hard to do business when everyone is dead.

But yes, I am curious whether the missive will actually be acted on by various agencies and the mechanics of implementation. It may be nothing more than a cheerleading chant to appease certain commercial interests.