[conspire] (forw) Re: Ubuntu help?

Josef Grosch jgrosch at gmail.com
Fri May 18 16:56:35 PDT 2012

On 05/18/2012 04:35 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from chaz at chazbrenchley.co.uk -----
>
> Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 23:59:09 +0100
> From: chaz at chazbrenchley.co.uk
> To: rick at linuxmafia.com
> Subject: Ubuntu help?
>
> Rick -
>
> In a ballpark sort of way, how much would it cost to have you come
> round here and make Ubuntu work on my computer? (Assuming you were up
> for that kind of low-level work.)
>
> (This irritates the hell out of me, because I've been using Linux
> almost exclusively - first Suse and now Ubuntu - for twelve years or
> more, but they made it that bit too easy, so I never really learned my
> way around the command line, and now that I need it I just don't have
> the expertise...)
>
> So, the position is that I bought a cheap HP box, on the assumption
> that there'd be nothing in there too new - but it has an ATI video
> card, which seems to make every distro trip up. A standard boot from a
> Live CD just produces a black screen; if I boot with "nomodeset" in
> the boot command I get a basic screen - the VESA driver, I think -
> which looks awful. I know I ought to be able to download fglrx or
> alternatives - but that's the second half of the problem, that I can't
> get internet access. I stupidly assumed that all PCs these days would
> have a wireless card. Not so. So I bought a USB plug-in, and Ubuntu
> 12.04 recognised it out of the box, and found the network - and won't
> connect. Keeps asking for the password, which I supply (correctly),
> and it dithers for a couple of minutes and asks again. Other people
> have had this, and the internet suggests various remedies, which I
> cannot make to work. Sob.
>
> So: is this the sort of problem with which you are willing to engage?
> And if so, roughly, what's the going rate? I feel like I've failed
> Geek 101, which really distresses me, but...
>
> - Chaz
>
> PS - see you at BayCon, I hope?

You have my sympathies. As I FreeBSD person I often struggle with video
cards that will not work with the latest release. I am not being
flippant but have you considered buying a video card that is know to
work with Ubuntu ? The same goes for an Ethernet card? Your comment
about "cheap" PCs really hits a chord. Penny wise, pound foolish. Ask
any one who knows me, I have been pissing and moaning about how the PC
manufactures are getting away with murder for years.

I wish you luck and if you commit violence against this electronic
miscreant, people will agree that it had it coming.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       |  Another day closer  |
jgrosch at gmail.com  |  to Redwood Heaven   |  Berkeley, Ca.