[conspire] (forw) Re: Future Installfests

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon May 7 22:06:48 PDT 2012

Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 22:06:37 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: ??? ### <fwcarr at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Future Installfests

Quoting ??? ### (fwcarr at gmail.com):

>  Tentatively, I'm planning on making the trip from Sacramento to Menlo Park
> on May, 26, bringing in tow my OpenSuse Raid 5 SamBa Server (and hopefully,
> a friend or two) with hopes of upgrading from OpenSuse 11.3 to 12.x.
>
>  So, questions, so many questions.
>
>  First: Confirming that, indeed, your May 26, 4PM, meeting/installfest is
> gonna be, as that date is in the depth's of *Memorial Day weekend.*

Whoops!  Thank you for asking.  No, my wife and I are going to be away
for that weekend, so it's going to be necessary to cancel that
particular CABAL date.  Sorry about that!

> *Next: According to your website, there generally a Potluck (some sort
> of BBQ). So, will this be the case on the 26**th**??? And if so, what
> is the general taste preference of the group???

Typical bloody computer geeks.  ;->

I _personally_ always make some from-scratch entree that's actually good
for people's health, plus a loaf of garlic bread.  (I grow my own garlic
and oregano in the garden.)

Left to their own preferences, I figure most of the attendees would
survive on a diet of donuts and soda pop.  In fact, maybe they do,
generally.  Anyway, you really should feel free and encouraged to bring
anything you want and like.  One nice thing about bringing something
_you_ like to eat is that you're guaranteed to enjoy at least one dish.

> And, what is the an average number
> of those looking to be fed??? *

Seems like a typical CABAL meeting during the summer season has about
ten attendees.  I should stress that you really don't need to feed
anyone.  Between me and a couple of other people who enjoy cooking and
sharing (honest!), there's always enough.

>  *Another Next: Do you already have an Install ISO of OpenSuse 12.x???

Hmm.  (Checking http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/installfest/#distros)
Yes, I have:

OpenSUSE 12.1 (2011-11-16) for i686 and x86_64 (1 DVD, bi-arch), 11.1
(2008-12-18) for PowerPC (1 DVD), and 12.1 Non-Open-Source Add-ons disk
for i586 and x86_64 bi-arch (1 CD)

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=suse says that 12.2 is at
a 'Milestone 3' beta .  Here are expected steps towards the eventual
full release, per
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20120507#upcoming :

2012-05-24: openSUSE 12.2 Beta 1
2012-06-14: openSUSE 12.2 RC1
2012-06-28: openSUSE 12.2 RC2
2012-07-11: openSUSE 12.2

>  *Final Next: I'll also be downloading the latest versions of Samba, Perl,
> and MySQL. I would like to be able to have such things set up (SamBa
> shouldn't be a problem, as I will have a copy of my current config file).
> Also, I would really appropriate help with setting up the firewall setting
> and auto-mounting of UBS drives and the update repository (to make apps
> updates easier). May I assume that your may be able offer some guidance in
> these areas.*

The items you want help with sound easy enough to help you with.  You
might want to think twice before attempting to local-install versions of
Samba, Perl, and MySQL from 'upstream' (non-distro) packages or source
code.  If that's what you're intending, we should talk about that.

Good to hear from you!

----- End forwarded message -----