[conspire] (forw) ZaTab from ZaReason - a fully open Android tablet

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue May 1 07:00:45 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 10:39 -0700, Tony Godshall wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Mike Higashi <mhigashi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Tony Godshall <tony at of.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Very cool.  May get one even though the
> >> resolution is only XGA.
> >

> > What I find interesting is that while most Android tablets
> > have a 16:9 display, the ZaTab replicates the iPad's form
> > factor with a 4:3 display.  I think this makes portrait mode
> > much more useful.
> >
> > While the resolution is "only XGA", that's still 130 pixels
> > per inch, so it should be quite good looking.
>
> Yeah, that's why I'm even considering it.
>
> I am really tired of these 72dpi screens everybody
> is selling and buying- laptops, desktops,
>
> But one of my key use cases is VNC access to
> user desktops, and some have screens as big
> as 2K so there'd be a lot of zooming in and out.

I've been looking at the web page for this product over and over since I
first saw the URL on this list, and each time I looked, a false
assumption that I made about the product persisted. Yesterday, I
overheard Earl Malmrose mention to Larry Cafiero that the device does
not have Bluetooth. It never previously occurred to me that a tablet
like this might not be equipped with Bluetooth, but I guess it keeps
costs down.