[conspire] (forw) Re: Future Installfests

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 11 01:03:48 PST 2012

Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 01:02:34 -0800
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: ??? ### <fwcarr at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Future Installfests

Quoting ??? ### (fwcarr at gmail.com):

> I looking for information about any upcoming Installfests in Sacramento or
> Bay Area. Installfests, these days seem
> few and far between.

Fred, I'm sorry to say, you just missed a perfect opportunity this
afternoon and evening.  Next such occasion will be in exactly two weeks.

I'm referring to the twice-monthly CABAL meeting/installfest, 2nd and
4th Saturdays at my and my wife's house in west Menlo Park.

The old-style formal installfests at a computer-lab or similar location
have really pretty much ceased.  CABAL is the group that used to put on
such a very formal event at the Cow Palace or Oakland Convention Center
inside the Robert Austin Computer Shows (that used to be very popular
computer hardware/software fleamarkets with some thousands of computer
users/shoppers visiting a typical Robert Austin event on a given
Saturday or Sunday).

CABAL slowly stopped doing those at Robert Austin shows because
shlepping large amounts of gear to a convention location, and then
spending all day under fluorescent lights and drinking dreadful
concessionaire coffee was just not much fun, _and_ the goal of gaining
public awareness of Linux and open source had long been achieved.  _So_,
we moved CABAL's efforts back to more pleasant and comfortable
surroundings:  We offer the same installation help in a nicer and in
fact much better setting, i.e., my and my wife's house.

http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/installfest/

> Nothing urgent, but I have an OpenSuse 11.3 - 5.8 TB Raid 5 SamBa Server
> that I looking to do an upgrade on,
> either to 11.4 or 12.1 (advise on whether 12.1 is advisable or not - would
> be welcomed).

Yes to the latter.  Nothing the least wrong with OpenSUSE 12.1.

As you'll see at http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/installfest/#distros , we
have that and a lot else, to use for installation and to duplicate for
yourself.

> Given a list, I'll make copies of any config files such a smd.conf.

smb.conf , yes.

> Strange, I guess, I build the box, and did the fresh install myself, but
> upgrading, for some reason, leaves me an uneasy feeling.

Exactly.  We are aware of this widespread sentiment, and are glad to
help people through such things.

----- End forwarded message -----