[conspire] Fun from Oracle, or: is it time to switch from MySQL to Postgres?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 7 17:18:51 PST 2012

I wrote:

> Quoting Dire Red (deirdre at deirdre.net):
>
> > For something as simple as BALE is, there's also sqlite.
>
> Yes, if we can do that transition, it definitely wins on KISS grounds.

I just checked the other part of what I need:  In a pinch, I _can_ type
raw SQL commands in a barebones ncurses-based query tool like
/usr/bin/mysql and so on -- but that's a pain with BALE, and a few
creature comforts go a long way.  Web, ncurses, S-Lang, whatever -- just
not X11 or anything else requiring that local graphics run on the
database machine.

At first, I used a piece of horrific bloatware called phpMyAdmin for
that purpose that is presumably compatible with all MySQL variants, but
very soon (years ago) ditched that for Adminer (http://www.adminer.org/),
a very fast, small, single file PHP app for managing/editing databases.

I just checked:  Adminer also works natively with SQLite back-ends.  Win!