[conspire] Fun from Oracle, or: is it time to switch from MySQL to Postgres?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 7 15:09:39 PST 2012

Quoting Ilan Rabinovitch (ilan at fonz.net):

> Percona server is also worth a look.

Thank you, Ilan.  I heard quite a bit about the MySQL, er... diaspora
when I was at the SCALE10X conference, but I couldn't remember all the
players (not even all the major ones).

Percona Server would actually be (it seems) a really good match for
typical Rails applications.  Percona was actually the first major MySQL
fork (2006), and is open source, with Percona, Inc.'s business model
relying on support, customisations, and consulting.  I believe they are
the source of the high-performance XtraDB storage engine that the
MariaDB people ship and are so fond of.

Developer extras:  NoSQL socket-level interface, a number of other things:
http://www.percona.com/software/percona-server/feature-comparison/