[conspire] Fun from Oracle, or: is it time to switch from MySQL to Postgres?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 7 13:57:46 PST 2012

Quoting Adrien Lamothe (alamozzz at yahoo.com):

> Just installed the latest Debian MySQL updates and was shown the
> following public service announcement. I'm glad Ruby on Rails makes it
> so easy to switch databases; looks like it may be about time for
> Postgres.

Depending on your needs, there are two other easier and more natural
migration targets:

MariaDB:  Extremely compatible community branch (as opposed to fork) of MySQL
and lead-maintained by Monty Widenius, architect/founder of MySQL.  They
maintain ongoing high compatibility and make sure they are a drop-in
replacement.  Adds XtraDB and Aria storage engines.  GPL v. 2.

Drizzle:  Lightweight and simplified ('slimmed down') fork of MySQL 6.0
from mid-2008 by Brian Aker.  Features removed:  Stored Procedures,
Views, Triggers (well, not entirely), Query Cache, and Prepared
Statements.  Simplified set of field types.  GPL v. 2 & 3, BSD licence.

I'm intending to move my server's very minimal database functions for
some Web pages (mostly BALE) over to Drizzle as soon as I can test it.

Not that there's ever been anything wrong with PostgreSQL, which has
long been excellent.