[conspire] Guy with the OpenSUSE server now has problems

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Jun 29 07:42:46 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-28 at 18:54 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> I had made arrangements to have a friend bring over
> his bootable copy of Gibson Research's SpinRite, but that fell
> through.
> Sound to me like TestDisk may well prove to be a good alternative to
> SpinRite.

No. All TestDisk does is examine the data on a drive where the MBR has
been lost to try to determine the original partition boundaries. Its
companion program PhotoRec does the same for files within filesystems.
From what I understand of SpinRite, it tweaks a drive's low-level
formatting to better facilitate non-forensic data retrieval, and in a
few limited cases may partially restore malfunctioning drives to working
order.