[conspire] kernel crash reported // for wifi ?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jun 5 10:46:22 PDT 2012

> The HAL was later re-released under a free license, so either driver is
> possible without a taint, and they mostly overlap in chipset support.
> Still, there are a few chipsets for which one or the other is far
> preferable, so YMMV.

Thanks, Daniel.  Yes, that rings a bell, now that you mention it.
(There was a flurry of controversy a few years ago about OpenBSD
developers' completely open source reimplementation of the HAL leading
to the ath5k driver, accusations of misappropriated trade secrets, etc.,
but it all worked out.)

I believe there's also a newer completely open source driver called
ath9k that is the right choice for specific chips.

Ken, you might want to post the excerpt of lspci's output that
identifies your Atheros chip.  (Why?  So we-all might suggest which
driver to attempt using 'modprobe' and observe the results of that
attempt using iwconfig.)