[conspire] (forw) Re: Comcast network upgrade blocks DNS blocking, could make SOPA self-incompatible

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 17 14:12:01 PST 2012

Quoting Tim Utschig (tim at tetro.net):

> Just so that I'm clear: we're pooh-poohing Comcast for supporting
> SOPA and not for deploying DNSSEC, right?

Not exactly either one (but certainly no objection to Comcast deploying
DNSSEC).  I gather that you didn't follow the link.

If you read the linked article
(http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/12/comcast-network-upgrade-blocks-dns-blocking-could-make-sopa-sel/),
you will see Comcast admitting that it's been interfering with correct
DNS results, attempting to prevent customers from reaching Internet
locations Comcast deems undesirable.  This fact emerged because,
Comcast, reports, their DNSSEC deployment will prevent that 'DNS
redirect' technology from working.

> I'm not a fan of Comcast as a whole, but it seems to me like some
> of their technical staff have been doing good work around
> deploying IPv6 and DNSSEC.

Next time, try following the link.