[conspire] upgrade from 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS ?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Dec 7 08:13:58 PST 2012

> On Thu, 2012-12-06 at 11:43 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Instead, 'do-release-upgrade' on such a system converts your system to
> > GNOME3/Unity, and you have to then install Precise Pangolin's package
> > gnome-shell as a separate, subsequent step.
>
> You mean gnome-session-fallback, and NOT gnome-shell, if 11.10 Oneiric
> Ocelot is any indication.

I exactly quoted what I found in recent Ubuntu documentation and
discussion.  That might be wrong; I suppose whoever goes looking for it
will find out.  (I'm a little busy this morning, so I'm not going to
re-do that research right away just to argue with you.)

> My experiences with nouveau on 11.10 on a GeForce 8600M GT are that it's
> WAY too unstable for production use. If people strongly recommend the
> proprietary drivers for 12.04, then I suspect this has not changed.

Opinion noted.  My point remains unchanged:  It is good policy to try
the best current open source drivers _first_ and then if necessary
fallback onto maintenance-impairing and long-term-problematic
proprietary drivers as a last resort.  My point about the various Ubuntu
community Web forums is that they characteristically are pushers of
proprietary hardware drivers FIRST, which is doing nobody any favours.

If I had video hardware that was _that_ open-source-hostile (as the one
you describe), I would actually sell and replace it.  (The workstation
at my office is a special case in that regard:  I neither spec'd it nor
own it, so I cannot reasonably yank and replace the video hardware.)

And, more reasonably, I would (and do) avoid purchasing such video
hardware in the first place.  It's not that hard.  All you have to do is
check supported hardware lists before hauling out your chequebook.

> Incorrect. "GNOME Shell" refers only to the currently mainstream flavor
> of GNOME3, so it's obviously maintained.

I meant to say "GNOME Panel".

> Cinnamon has zilch to do with GNOME Shell.

To the contrary, it is a fork of GNOME Shell (and, like GNOME Shell,
based on the Mutter WM).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_(user_interface)

You're more than a little belligerent this morning, aren't you, Daniel?

> It's basically MATE (see below) but with all the GNOME3 eye candy.

It most certainly is not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_(user_interface)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MATE_(desktop_environment)

Anyway, Daniel, if you wish to start helping people posting queries to
Conspire, that would be a welcome change -- albeit a good bit more work
than merely sniping at me from the sidelines.