[conspire] using USB headsets with Ubuntu ?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 6 12:05:54 PST 2012

Quoting =JeffH (Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com):

> Does anyone have input on using USB headsets with recent versions of
> Ubuntu ? my understanding is that they nominally work, and if so,
> I'm curious if anyone has any to recommend.

Linux distros' recent support for USB headsets is good because Pulse
Audio (for all that it gets justly dinged for being overengineered)
autorecognises the devices and modprobes the right kernel modules pretty
well.

FWIW, the USB audio / MIDI drivers are key.  This command will show you
your PulseAudio configuration and let you see whether it thinks it sees
your headset:

pacmd dump

If your distro has Pulse Audio, it _should_ Just Work.  A lot of people
appear to like the Logitech headsets.  (No personal experience.)

(You may start to see a pattern:  Someone asks 'How do I do [foo] in
Ubuntu?' and I give an answer that aspires to be correct across all
possible Linux distributions and, where possible, all Unixes.)