[conspire] The practice of making ext4 a default needs to die an excruciating and gruesome death

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat Aug 11 15:58:54 PDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-08-11 at 12:39 -0700, Adrien Lamothe wrote:
> Google to the rescue:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Linux_file_systems
>
> The first url has a list of filesystems by year of creation, so just
> scroll down a bit to check out those recently introduced.

I did some digging. Seems the "crash-only" model has been applied mostly
to application development rather than file systems. Exactly one
"crash-only" file system was ever developed for Linux, and it was later
deprecated in favor of BTRFS by its author, Valerie Henson-Aurora. It
seems the REAL gremlin at work in the woes I described may be write
caching. Could "hdparm -W0 /dev/sda" really be the answer to everything?