[conspire] pitfalls of transfers on a usb. memory stick

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Thu Sep 29 17:47:15 PDT 2011

On 9/29/11 3:17 PM, bruce coston wrote:
> Pardus linux does not tend to see a stick unless  formatted fat32 . At
> 900k , it takes 5 hrs. to transfer 15G. from my 32G. stick . I can easily
> take 2 nights to transfer my 40G. of videos . I still had problems with
> one file stopping the process despite my using different permissions to
> do the transfer , I just bundled it into an archive . So I will examine
> the questions around local network configuration for file transfers .

Do other people have this much trouble with usb. sticks ?

Yes, people do. USB flash drives can be fussy. The difference between USB
1.0 and USB 2.0 is dramatic. USB 1.0 is painful to experience in this modern
era. I suspect you might have USB 1.0.

Rick's right, as usual. Try to get yourself one of these thin, inexpensive
WD brand USB drives (spinning disk) that is powered by the USB cable. They
are thin, small and useful.

This site might help you determine which version of USB you have:
http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/linux_kernel/kernel_configuration/ch09s02.html
My recent experience is that trying to move larger files (like movies)
through USB 1.0 is not fun whether the destination a flash or a spinning disk.

--
Mark Weisler
PGP Key ID 68E462B6