[conspire] D-Link WBR-2310 alternative OS

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 15 12:17:09 PDT 2011

Quoting Ehud Kaldor (ehud.kaldor at gmail.com):

> I have a D-Link 2310 wireless router

I believe you mean D-Link WBR-2310.  Atheros AR2316A CPU, Atheros AR2316A
wireless + ethernet chip, Marvell 88E6060 ethernet switch.

The WBR-2310 is listed on
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Known_incompatible_devices .
Probably, you'd have found that, if you'd searched with the correct
model string.

The product spec sheet
(ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/WBR-1310/WBR-1310_ds.pdf) is
suspiciously silent about the amount of RAM and flash, so I suspect
they've skimped frightfully on one or both.  Forget completely about
installing OpenWRT, dd-wrt, Tomato, etc. on any such device that doesn't
have at least 4 MB flash, 16 MB RAM -- with theoretically lower limits
if it's Broadcom-based (but frankly I wouldn't bother with those, and
firmly advised Kai to sell hers and get a better one, which she did and
is happy that she did so -- happily running OpenWRT on it since the most
recent CABAL meeting).

http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-internet-wireless/d-link-wbr-2310-rebooting-17012.html
suggests that WBR-2310 units suffer stability problems, but might be
helped with a D-Link firmware upgrade.

Some folks say that the WBR-2310 is 'a reskinned DI-624 Rev. D', if that
helps.

Wow, finally:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=146245&sid=74c4ad1afef241c6ce00e3e47944a9d5

  'as is see the device has 1mb flash , 8mb ram...so its not
   supported....sorry'

1 MB flash, wow.  No wonder they hid the specs.

Ehud,....  I don't even need to say it, do I?  ;->