[conspire] comments on LMDE

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Fri Sep 9 23:24:41 PDT 2011

Executive summary: I had thought that downloading the ISO file and installing LMDE from it would be a simple / efficient way to install Linux. Instead is that I encountered a series of obstacles.  While there probably were solutions to each one, I wound up spent a lot of time and mental effort and not getting anything useful.

A net install of Debian took about as much time as installing LMDE from the DVD. For my purposes, it was good to go after just the basic install.  Yes, I might someday revisit Gnome vs. the other choices or maybe just tweak Gnome configuration.

I think this is consistent with Rick's opinion.

Specific details below: