[conspire] (forw) Re: Can OSI specify that public domain is open source?

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Sep 9 10:39:03 PDT 2011

begin Rick Moen quotation of Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 04:45:39PM -0700:

> By the way, if I wanted to use a permissive licence for a non-software
> work and wanted MIT Licence's extreme simplicity, I'd do:
> Copyright (C) 2011 by Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>.  This work may
> be used subject to the terms of MIT License despite not being software.
>
> (It is good form to also include the 17 lines of the licence itself, but
> not strictly necessary.)

I'm starting to like the konomark more and more:
  http://konomark.org/

It just marks a copyrighted work as something that
you're open to sharing, and then you can set the
terms when someone asks for permission.  That way you
can give permission to your translator in Belarus or
whatever, but still do something about the black-hat
SEO scrapers.

IMHO, copying a work with the intent of driving
traffic to a commercial site is a commercial use,
whether or not the scraped and reposted copies
carry advertising.  But that's just me, and I have
no idea how copyright license terms apply to sleazy
SEO practices.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/