[conspire] mirrors.kernel.org missing after the hack?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Sep 3 14:40:59 PDT 2011

Quoting Peter Knaggs (peter.knaggs at gmail.com):

> Hi Debian users,
>
> When I tried "apt-get update" on penlug just now,
> I noticed neither
>   http://www.debian.org/mirror/list
> nor
>   ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/
> are responding any more.
>
> But they're still listed as mirrors for the USA on
> the Debian mirrors page.
>   http://www.debian.org/mirror/list
>
> I guess that page isn't being maintained?

That page lists 'ftp.us.debian.org' as a secondary mirror for the United
States that load-balances among a group of five sites that include
mirrors.kernel.org.  mirrors.kernel.org, in turn, appears to be an alias
that ultimately resolves to mirrors.us.kernel.org, which is a machine
that's not responding to ping at the moment.  (It's probably offline for
security checking.)

> What mirrors do you tend to use (from California) for Debian?

ftp.debian.org works (as an http mirror).

If on the stable branch, you could do this in sources.list:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free con`trib
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free