[conspire] About conditioned helplessness

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Sep 2 13:29:28 PDT 2011

begin Luke S. Crawford quotation of Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 03:45:53PM -0400:

> I think 'crack house' is a poor analogy.   I think in most workplaces,
> people expect to be able to watch a youtube video or two on work time,
> and really, I think that's reasonable.

And the whole marketing dept. is probably signed up
for SaaS analytics that use Flash to display nifty
graphs and stuff.

> The easy part is buying employees laptops.   The hard part is saying
> "never use this for personal stuff"   I mean, saying that is easy.
> Enforcing it?  pretty difficult.

Sure, so most of what the company does is probably OK
to have on the "crack house" PC.  "Oh, no, one of our
sales reps lost a copy of the catalog" -- no big deal.

But there is data that probably has to live on the IT
equivalent of the lockable, boring HR or Accounting
office, even if that means providing an extra play
machine or guest wireless network for the employees
who work with it.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/