[conspire] *buntu 11.10 (was: Safety at CABAL meetings: NO UNCOVERED CABLE RUNS)

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 25 08:59:03 PDT 2011

>I find that Oneiric is unique, as an Ubuntu distro.  This is the first

>release where instead of spending development effort packaging
>*released* software from upstream (e.g: GNOME 3), they chose to release
>their own software as part of the core UI infrastructure.

Actually, Canonical/Ubuntu has for years maintained their own kernel tree and have regularly experimented with kernel changes. Indeed, Wayland will pull X-Windows functionality into the kernel, yet another (the other being Unity) major change designed to make Ubuntu competitive in the commercial market. It appears they want gaming level display performance.