[conspire] End of an era for Java

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Thu Oct 20 01:09:21 PDT 2011

Tony Godshall:
> What about Avery's observations about pypy and JIT?  (in the PDF)

He seems to largely be concerned with comparing Python with C.  I don't
think it's controversial that we tend to write programs that consist of
a Python Kraken with dynamically-linked C tentacles.  Nearly all good
languages at this level provide interfaces into C libraries for all the
low-level OS interaction and heavy lifting.

He grouses about the loss of refcounting (seemingly justifiably, from
his somewhat stacked benchmarks), and about the ramp-up time (again,
justifiable if your use case is a Unix-style short-lived pipeline
program).  I wasn't aware of the pure-GC nature of PyPy, really, but it
seems to come with more of a memory consumption cost than an execution
time cost.

--
Support your droogs!