[conspire] Good page about debugging Linux audio problems

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Tue Oct 18 23:55:48 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 10:41:17PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):
>
> > Had a hardware "upgrade" recently.  Most of the new
> > sound hardware doesn't do hardware mixing, which
> > means that you have to either (1) carefully configure
> > your applications so that only one tries to open the
> > device at a time, or (2) come down on the "Lennart
> > Poettering is NOT the Antichrist" side of the debate
> > and turn PulseAudio back on.
> >
> > (PulseAudio runs fine on my pretty much stock Debian
> > laptop.)
>
> Succinctly put.
>
> I will say on its behalf that, unlike many recent desktop Linux
> innovations, PulseAudio doesn't suffer the Dependency Tree from Hell,
> and it doesn't operate at a _grossly_ inappropriate system level, only a
> slightly inappropriate one (running as a userspace service, whereas
> sound drivers really ought to be in the kernel).

Actually, i do think it has a dependency hell and it's archeteture
is just insane.  I couldn't pull it apart to debug it, so I just
scrapped it and used ALSA straight up.  And at least in OpenSuse it
won't work without gnome.

The main thing I understnad about it is that it can serve sound from one
desktop to another.  Fine.  But its not worth the cost.  the hell with
it.  I'll run an icecast server.

Ruben