[conspire] Good page about debugging Linux audio problems

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Tue Oct 18 23:55:48 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 10:41:17PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):
> > Had a hardware "upgrade" recently.  Most of the new
> > sound hardware doesn't do hardware mixing, which
> > means that you have to either (1) carefully configure
> > your applications so that only one tries to open the
> > device at a time, or (2) come down on the "Lennart
> > Poettering is NOT the Antichrist" side of the debate
> > and turn PulseAudio back on.
> >
> > (PulseAudio runs fine on my pretty much stock Debian
> > laptop.)
> Succinctly put.
> I will say on its behalf that, unlike many recent desktop Linux
> innovations, PulseAudio doesn't suffer the Dependency Tree from Hell,
> and it doesn't operate at a _grossly_ inappropriate system level, only a
> slightly inappropriate one (running as a userspace service, whereas
> sound drivers really ought to be in the kernel).

Actually, i do think it has a dependency hell and it's archeteture
is just insane.  I couldn't pull it apart to debug it, so I just
scrapped it and used ALSA straight up.  And at least in OpenSuse it
won't work without gnome.

The main thing I understnad about it is that it can serve sound from one
desktop to another.  Fine.  But its not worth the cost.  the hell with
it.  I'll run an icecast server.