[conspire] Good page about debugging Linux audio problems

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Tue Oct 18 21:43:44 PDT 2011

begin Ruben I Safir quotation of Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:43:49PM -0400:

> There was a time when I could set up ALSA to take multiple
> applications without a problem.
> It won't do  it any more.   Any clues?

Had a hardware "upgrade" recently.  Most of the new
sound hardware doesn't do hardware mixing, which
means that you have to either (1) carefully configure
your applications so that only one tries to open the
device at a time, or (2) come down on the "Lennart
Poettering is NOT the Antichrist" side of the debate
and turn PulseAudio back on.

(PulseAudio runs fine on my pretty much stock Debian

Don Marti
dmarti at zgp.org