[conspire] conspire Digest, Vol 100, Issue 13

Tony Godshall tony at of.net
Mon Oct 17 17:18:54 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Tony Godshall <tony at of.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>> Quoting Tony Godshall (tony at of.net):
>>
>>> I was able to upgrade a BIOS recently using cabextract to get the .BIN out
>>> of the .EXE file and then using FreeDOS.  If the above are insufficient
>>> clues for you and the search engine of your choice to figure out the rest,
>>> let me know and I'll see if I can locate and make coherent my notes.
>>
>> My own advice to Bruce, when he posed this problem in-person at a recent
>> CABAL meeting, was:  Swap in a spare hard drive for this purpose,
>> install $MICROSOFT_OS on it for this purpose, flash the firmware, and
>> then swap your regular hard drive back in.
>>
>> You really don't want ROM-flashing to go sideways in mid-rewrite, so
>> extra variables are to be avoided.
>>
>> oI'd possible there might be a way to lob the binary blob into the ROM
>> from FreeDOS.  I wouldn't know.  Bruce _claimed_ that the standard
>> hardware-provided method was via a Win32 binary; whether that binary's
>> unpacking and ROM-writing functions can be provided using other software
>> is an interesting question that, personally, I would want other people
>> to test out with their hardware, not mine.
>
> Heh- true that.

Oh, and have you noticed I typically respond with "this is what worked
for me" or "this is what I would did" or "this is what I might try".
If you apply my experience to your situation, it's up to you.  I
didn't tell you to.

I guess I could always write "YMMV" to be properly weaslewordy.

Hey, Bruce, have you found a competent threaded e-mail reader yet?
"Subject: Re: [conspire] conspire Digest" is sooooooo last millennium.

--
Best Regards.