[conspire] Ubuntu 9.04 (re-sending due to previously accidentally sent to Bcc instead of Cc conspire group)

Kai indigo.kai at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 07:55:33 PDT 2011

Rick Moen wrote:

>The other question you should ask yourself is whether Ubuntu 9.10 is a
safe thing to run in 2011.
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/ubuntu-releases.html says support for
9.10 ended in 2011-04, i.e., this past April.  There have been no
security updates since then, and there never will be.  So, there is your
answer:  It is not very safe to run Ubuntu 9.10 'Karmic Koala' in
October 2011, and it will become progressively more dangerous as time
goes on.  <

Kai:  Ok, I might be jumping in a bit later here, but as a few of you
know the topic of "Security" has been on my mind these past few
months.  Oh and YES I am back on the Internet and reading my email
again.  And Yes, ok, ok I gravitated toward Ubuntu.... for now.  Back
to my point....  I found this Ubuntu wiki page and it spoke to me.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Features

I will be performing a fresh install of 11.04 on my eMachine in a day
or two and test it out.  IF all works ok, I will most likely upgrade
one of the laptops to 11.04 also.  Some of the security enhancements
between 8.04 (which is on my eMachine now), and the 11.04 Lucid Lynx
seem SUBSTANTIAL.  ((side note, the eMachine has not been allowed on
the LAN since that little incident a few months ago.)  The 10.04
support ends in April 2013, the 11.04 support ends in April 2012.  I
could probably upgrade to 11.10 by then, and the 11.10 support is
through April 2013 also.  I think it is better to move directly to the
11.04 and skip the 10.04 and 10.10.

I might want to add that the old rule of thumb of staying with
something stable (AKA "LTS"), even if it is 18 months old (10.04 LTS
2010-04-29 Lucid Lynx) does not seem such a wises move considering the
recent eruption of security issues I (and a lot of other people) have
been experiencing lately.

Maybe after all this I will look into experimenting with other distros.

Kai.   p.s  yeah I just realized the CABAL install-fest was last
Saturday, opps!  and the next one is a week from Saturday.  See you
all then.

--
Ms.Kai
Indigo.Kai at gmail.com