[conspire] Ubuntu 9.04

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 10 13:02:36 PDT 2011

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> Huh, I thought do-release-upgrade was only supported for LTS->LTS in the
> XX.XX.2 releases.

I see nothing in the docs to that effect, and, to the contrary, I see
specific blanket official recommendation, e.g.,:
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/upgrade
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/installing-upgrading.html

> Were you maybe doing a manual `apt-get dist-upgrade`?

No.  I was doing exactly what I said I was doing.  Quoting from the
site-docs's ChangeLog file:

We 2011-03-30   Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
        [...]
        * Installed package update-manager-core to acquire
          /usr/bin/do-release-upgrade.  Ran that tool to upgrade
          Ubuntu Server from 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon to 8.04 LTS Hardy Heron
          and then to 10.04.1 LTS Lucid Lynx.
          Note:  The unforgivably broken 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS upgrade step
          (see http://lists.svlug.org/archives/volunteers/2011q1/003590.html)
          required manually creating wrapper shell script
          /usr/local/sbin/tar that execs /bin/tar with --touch flag.
          Leaving that script in case something still needs it.