[conspire] help: linux scancode/keycode problem on Dell E6500 ?

=JeffH Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com
Thu Oct 6 09:51:54 PDT 2011

Travis Hassloch suggested I ping Linux folk here locally (SFBay Area -- I'm in
Redwood City) and so here I am, and here's the problem:

I have a linux (well, ubuntu 10.04 and greater apparently (I'm running the
former)) scancode/keycode problem on a Dell E6500 (as well as similar Dell
systems apparently) and am not sure how to fix it.

The terse problem description is: "Dell E6500 fn+f8 switch video mode (external
monitor) does not work".

Unfortunately, I'm a linux/ubuntu internals n00b. AFAIK/AFAICT, it ought to be
a tweak to scancode->keycode map(s) and/or X modmap, but from the manpages I'm
not sure how to accomplish it with the limited time I have to try to fix it.

I /think/ I've figured it out to a fair degree, and have described the problem
in detail in various places (sometimes appending a comment to someone else's
original post) listed below, but as yet have not secured any help.

This diagram of Travis' is helpful in understanding this stuff:

..and in looking at it, it'd appear that my particular issue may well be with
the X "modifier map", managed by xmodmap(1). But the xmodmap man page is rather
obtuse and I'm not sure what sort of magic incantation might fix the fn+f8 problem.

Anyone know, or have further ideas?

Dell E6500 fn+f8 switch video mode does not work (keycodes scancodes keymaps)

[Firmware Bug]: Duplicate ACPI video bus devices for the same VGA controller.
Switch display Fn button not working on Dell e6400

switching to external VGA monitor does not work anymore on dell precision M4400
and Ubuntu 10.04

Dell E6500 fn+f8 switch video mode does not work (external monitor, keycodes,
scancodes, keymaps)