[conspire] Ubuntu 9.04 (re-sending due to previously accidentally sent to Bcc instead of Cc conspire group)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 5 00:21:52 PDT 2011

Quoting ilona (tecstuf at earthlink.net):

> Hi Rick, I'm still partial to Ubuntu 9.04 and am looking to download Intel Ubunto 9.04 desktop iso.   I can't find it for download, is it still available or can you send me a link to it?

I Web-searched for

   isos archive ubuntu

First hit was http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/7.04/ , which thus
suggests http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ as the starting point.
Navigating from there in the obvious way, one reaches:
http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/karmic/

I'm giving you _more_ than just the URL you asked for, so that you will
know how to solve problems like that by yourself in the future.  The
logic of that search term involves the fact that CD/DVD images are known
loosely as 'iso' files, which is short for ISO-9660, the International
Standards Organisation standard for CD-ROM formatting.

Anyway, you can download from that location either of these:

ubuntu-9.10-alternate-i386.iso
ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso

If you're on x86_64, then:

ubuntu-9.10-alternate-amd64.iso
ubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64.iso

The 'alternate' image is a fast, flexible, lower-RAM text-mode
installer.  It is for installation and nothing but installation.  I
prefer it strongly, when installing, as it's a lot faster, runs in
lower-spec machines, and is more adaptable to difficult installation
scenarios.

The 'desktop' image boots to a graphical live-CD desktop.  You have the
option of running a graphical installer to perform installation, after
the live-CD system boots.

The other question you should ask yourself is whether Ubuntu 9.10 is a
safe thing to run in 2011.
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/ubuntu-releases.html says support for
9.10 ended in 2011-04, i.e., this past April.  There have been no
security updates since then, and there never will be.  So, there is your
answer:  It is not very safe to run Ubuntu 9.10 'Karmic Koala' in
October 2011, and it will become progressively more dangerous as time
goes on.