[conspire] AMD A43300M Chips and Linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 14 14:06:59 PST 2011

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> Has there been any specific problems with the AMD A4-3300M
> chips and the built in video chip for the current Linux
> distros?

Systems based on the A4-3300M 'Llano Fusion' CPU seem to have started
appearing in June.  That's dangerously early for either good open source
driver support or for reliable Internet information about that support.
(If there's a substantive problem, it's almost certainly in the
southbridge motherboard chip or one of the closely linked chips, or in
the video, _not_ in support for the CPU -- but the raw newness of the
CPU underlines the point about likelihood of problems elsewhere, and
shortage of findable documentation even where solutions exist.)

I'm betting you actually figured out, a couple of decades ago, like the
rest of us, that (1) you don't actually need cutting-edge hardware
performance when you run a good, suitable operating system, (2) and that
hardware bears a ridiculous cost premium you can avoid by doing the
sensible thing and sticking to chipsets that have been on the market for
1-2 years.  However, you're fishing for specific information that's
unlikely to exist here, anyway, because -- dunno, maybe you can't help
yourself from window-shopping the shiny new stuff?  Good luck.