[conspire] (forw) [MaraDNS list] Why I won't use Flattr or another similar scheme

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sat Nov 12 18:13:47 PST 2011

begin Nick Moffitt quotation of Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 09:38:29PM +0000:
> Don Marti:
> > begin Nick Moffitt quotation of Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 06:56:22PM +0000:
> > > Don Marti:
> > > You knew when you wrote the question that we have a surfeit of
> > > exactly that.
> >
> > So why not take some of the effort put into writing Usability Rants
> > and rambling BTS comments, and turn it into a price signal?  Instead
> > of "FIX THIS OR I'M INSTALLING (whatever old-school-looking window
> > manager is hot now)" let them put $2 on the bug?
>
> You believe these people will put their money where there mouth is.
>
> I would predict that a futures market for bugs would result in the
> introduction of disastrous bugs just to game the market.  It's hard to
> flood the market with pork bellies, but bugs and software are
> practically synonymous.

That's an interesting scenario.  Original author
Alice introduces a bug that she knows will affect
user Charlie, but that packager Bob will let through.

> The world has too many derivatives traders already.  Don't encourage
> them.

To find bugs and trade on them in advance of the bug introducers?

Sure, the world has too many derivatives traders,
but the free software scene has zero.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/