[conspire] ISP

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed May 25 13:18:17 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 09:57 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> So, it's still residential aDSL, and thus still requires that the
> telco
> PTSN local loop be available, exactly the same as with Raw Bandwidth.
> You just have a relatively lucky situation where it was active only to
> the demarc point (perhaps for service to neighbours?) and the
> Sonic.net
> employee was willing to lean on AT&T until they were no longer
> gratuitously obstructive monopolists.

No. With Fusion, Sonic.net _is_ your CLEC, and the only thing you ever
need to hear from AT&T again is the harassment from their retentions
department. Personally, I have had DSLExtreme ever since DSLDesigns went
kablooey in 2002, and they are not what they used to be. If Fusion were
at all available in my current area, I would have left DSLExtreme in
seconds flat. Raw Bandwidth _may_ have the same ADSL2+ service that
Sonic.net calls "Fusion" but _only_ on the peninsula. AT&T is barred
from owning the local loops for ADSL2+ service, and no one else can own
the ones for regular old ADSL. I predict a conversation with Mike Durkin
in the future of multiple readers of this post.