[conspire] I renounce the devil Unicode and all of its works

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon May 23 10:12:03 PDT 2011

Quoting Edward Cherlin (echerlin at gmail.com):

> Yes, Rick, I'm top posting. I think myself justified in doing so.
[long e-mail omitted]

Ed --

You've just dropped from an ongoing public discussion into private
e-mail without mentioning having done so, let alone mentioning why
you suddenly want a private side-discussion.

You know how I feel about that.  As I've said on numerous occasions in
your presence, I participate on mailing list with some intention,
however forlorn, of benefitting the public.  People who unilaterally
decide to drop into private mail for unexplained reasons (which usually
if disclosed would amount to either personal convenience or
embarrassment) are acting as if they were unclear on the concept of
community discussion.

Since you are not brand new to the Internet, I tend to conclude that you
are deliberately ignoring my repeated mentioning of why this practice is
abusive and will not be indulged.

So, I'm going to ignore what you typed.  One exception:

> Thanks. There are similar problems on other pages.

And you couldn't be bothered to provide URLs for _those_, either.

You know, I actually thank people who at least bother to provide URLs.
I profusely thank people who furnish fixes, especially as patchsets.
Other than that?

Consider the hundreds if not thousands of HTML documents in various
obscure corners of my Web site.  The few dozen pages that I created in
vim and edit frequently are highly likely to pass the W3C HTML and CSS
validators.  The ones that I generate from ASCII (e.g., HTMLised
versions of postings to mailing lists) using my Python script for that
purpose are likewise going to pass those two validators, because I made
sure my script does that.  The other hundreds or more pages?  Maybe.
They'd have to be checked.

So, when someone write in and says 'There are validation problems in
sundry pages on your Web site that I'm not going to bother to specify',
do _you_ think I'm going to be thanking that person?  Guess.